Today I’m super excited to announce the beginning of our Expert Career Advice Series where I’ve interviewed amazing career coaches and asked them for some practical tips and career advice for you lovely mamas.
So many mamas have reached out and shared with me the questions that they’re struggling with and the confidence issues that they’re facing as they navigate this new season as they return to work.
The good news is… you’re not alone. And you don’t need to go through these challenges by yourself.
In this Expert Career Advice series these amazing coaches have answered some of the most common questions that we get so often from mums:
- After a career break to have children, I now want to return to work. Ideally it would be a role that is flexible so that I work only when my children are in school. However, after being out of work for 4 years, my confidence is super low. Can you help?
- I’m a 41-year-old mama with 14 years experience as a teacher. 2 years ago I left my school and set up as a private tutor. However, I’m now at the point where I have to decide whether to go for it as a self-employed tutor or return to teaching. I love the flexibility of working on my own, but also find it lonely. Do you have any advice on what I should do?
- I’m nearing the end of my maternity leave after having my second child, and I really don’t want to go back to work. I’ve come up with a business idea that I think could work, however I’m struggling with imposter syndrome, and wondering if I really have what it takes to start a business. Do you have any tips for me?
- I feel as if I’ve lost my confidence since going back to work after having a baby. Before maternity leave, I’d be happy to speak up in meetings and share my views, but since I’ve come back I feel as if my opinions no longer count to my colleagues. What can I do?
- I feel so guilty every time I drop my son off at nursery when I go to work. How can I stop feeling like this?
- I’ve just set up my own Virtual Assistant business, and I’ve signed up to attend a couple of local networking events. But I’m so nervous about talking to new people. Do you have any tips for how I can feel confident and introduce myself at these types of events?
- In 10 days time, I’ve got to stand up in front of a room of 25 people to do a presentation, and I’m so nervous. Any tips for me on how to sound confident (even if I don’t feel it!)?
- I’m really struggling to switch off from work when I’m at home (which is exhausting, and isn’t fair to my family). It doesn’t help that I’m continuously getting work emails on my phone. Any advice to help me switch off?
- I need a confidence boost. At home I feel so strong and capable looking after my baby girl. But as soon as I get into work, it’s as if I’m a different person and I don’t believe I can do anything. Why do I feel this way, and can you help me?
Can you relate to these questions? Are these questions that you’ve asked or do you have a friend that has asked you these questions?
I hope that you’ll bookmark this Expert Career Advice series, and return to it each week to get tips and advice that can help you. And if you find it useful, please do share it with other working mamas. We want to help as many mamas find a job and return to work in a way that works for them and their family.
Until then, take care of yourself sweet mama!
Here’s the interviews we’ve published so far:
- Expert Career Advice: Julie Smith from Pressurevalve Coaching
- Expert Career Advice: Jo Norfolk From Career Cafe Coach
- Expert Career Advice: Frances Cushway From Frances Cushway Coaching
- Expert Career Advice: Penny Terndrup
- Expert Career Advice For Mums: Emma Jones from Work Buddy London
- Expert Career Advice For Mums: Assunta Cucca
- Expert Career Advice For Mums: Laura Kingston
- Expert Career Advice For Mums: Liz Redway
- Expert Career Advice For Mums: Anna Colebourne